"If you can answer the question who Viktoria is, you answer the biggest question of your life" - that's what I was told not long ago by someone to whom I tried to explain: I'm rediscovering myself. Once I though I had already got a kinda deep undertstanding on at least my basic features - strengths, weakness, motives -, I have found myself in a situation where I'm behaving in a very different way than I did before. I'm reacting in a very different way to things that happen around me. I'm using less my strengths I knew as strengths before, and more of those features I considered weaknesses I'm using now as strengths. Sounds confusing, doesn't it?
"... was it your weakness that made you strong?" - this line is from one of my favourite songs. I think this somehow gives me a piece of answer. At least takes me back to a question: how can it happen, that those features I had as weaknesses now are developed to a level when I can consider them as strengths? And why ain't I using my strengths that I knew as strengths before?
At IC 2007 I participated at workshop delivered by Alcatel-Lucent. The guy running the session was talking about the so called "adaptive challenge":
"When the definition of reality is changing but not everybody knows it yet. When your strengths become your challenges and your weaknesses might become your strengths."
Aha. Makes sense.
In other words, from another person, regarding the same question above: my environment is changing faster than I am, which requires new kinda reactions from my side.
Ok, anyways. The key point is that I have to get back to basic questions now. And the "who am I?" is not the question I have to ask myself. Too broad. The questions starting with "why..." are much more effective.
Eh, I was told, I'm thinking too much - I am! Though I'm on my way learning how to enjoy without thinking. I've never thought before that it can be such a big deal.
Today 3 people were checking on me wether I feel good and things go well. I was talking with Rahab for like an hour, then Kristian called me, then I met Patrick (former MC member of Kenya, then of SA)... It was a very nice feeling. And yes, I'm happy. I feel good. Though it's good to have people like them: Rahab is just there whenever I need her, Kristian is calling me every 2-3 weeks just to know how his "daughter" is going, and they are not the only ones for me here.
As I said before: I feel at home in Nairobi by now. And not only in regards to the town itself, but also to its people. I'm on my way to understand how "we Kenyans" live our lives.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment