Monday, June 4, 2007

first days in Nairobi

I'm here!!! Arrived on Friday, getting my first impressions about the city, the people here, the life and circumstances... I have to say it's quite a different lifestyle.

When I got out of the plane on Friday evening, my first worries were about my visa. No worth, I"ve got it smoothly (fortunately they didn't ask for the backwards flight tickets - it goes for february, hehe). Then I've met my new team and some other people: Kristian, Shivo, Mo, Phil, Leah, Juliet, Sylvia, etc. They first took me to Kristian's place (where I'm still staying) by matato (mikrobusz :-)) then we went for having a welcome party - it was quite a relaxing one by the way.

Next day morning Kristian showed me the shopping malls closest to our place (as I will move here by July for contemporary, it's been crucial), we got some shopping. Quite nice, I can buy everything that I've got used to in Hungary, even at a cheaper price - life is cheaper in Kenya than in Europe, much cheaper. You never can buy a Budapest bus ticket for around 50 HUF (20 ksh), yeah? :-)) I've also got my new kenyan phone number, which i still don't know by heart, hehe. After all this in the evening we had some kind of barbeque party at our place, having a few people here: MC members, members and a trainee. It was nice, we also had Mr Kent - an alumni who's hosting us btw -, and we've had a very impressive discussion around Rwanda and how it's getting over on its history. Good example, people should know about this all around the world - maybe after watching Hotel Rwanda, they should also get to know where the country is right now on their way of development...

Sunday way about going to the city centre, getting to know the landmarks there, meals that I can eat, meals that I shouldn't even taste, shops that worth to go in, how to bargain at the market - and relaxation time, all afternoon we were watching movies on my laptop. Good way to feel more and more comfortable.

Today was to most tiring day so far - we've gone to the MC office, started physical transition, got to know more and more people, though still got around the city, getting to know about its deeper life... Then in the afternoon we've started to do the NTT interviews with the NTT applicants - though we only can finish that by tomorrow as 2 out 3 applicants couldn't be there today.

Ok, that's what I've been doing so far. And the experiences: cars go on the other way than at home. There's no schedule for the bus regarding timing, only for the routes. There's no hot water for doing the washing up. Monkeys are just getting around on the streets and steal. You always must bargain, whatever you buy. There are some basic street rules as well like:
-most places are quite safe till 8 pm.
-you can always get pickpocketed, so take care of your pockets and bags
-take care which streets you use between 8 and 10 pm.
-never go alone on the streets after 10 pm. (but rather after 8 pm. if possible)
-if someone is getting closer to you by dark, go to the other side of the street
-don't go to parks, they are not for relaxing there (rather unsafe)
-never take any expensive or valuable thing with yourself for that you can be mugged
It seems very strict and unsafe for the first time, but it's not that hard keeping these points and then you're getting on well.

On the other hand, people are wonderful here. Helpful, smiling, highly emotional, caring... I've never seen such lovely people. Life is kindda fun here. Hakuna matata. Means no problem. This is the mentality. I've met some of the interns here already (Johannes from DK, Sharon from NL, Will from Canada, Tiffany from USA and 2 French guys) and all of them say: life in Kenya is something that you must experience. It's wonderful - and at the same time if you get on here, you will be able to get on anywhere.

No photos yet, but as soon as I get used to the safety instructions, I will start using my camera.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Viki!

I'm really happy to hear that you have arrived safely!!! After reading through this post I have the impression that now you live like "hal a vízben:)" (fish in the water...is it a right translation???:))

And one of the previous post was also about a team to get together after years...don't worry, there is a team waiting for you, and I'm sure ther will be more;)

All the best!!

Szaki

Anonymous said...

Dear Viki,

So cool to hear that you are ok!
I miss you so much, but I see that you are in the right place in the right time :)
Have fun and write down your experiences!
I agree with Szaki about there is a team here waiting for you!

Cheers!
Ági

Unknown said...

hey sweety!

I'm glad to hear you're ok!
Take care and when you'll be able to take pictures safely, then do so!

I'm very curious about this "no problem" country!;)

Hugs!
Cori