This last one week and a chat yesterday with a good friend made me realize: I'm getting to be a resident here, already have started a new life. I had a strange feeling a few days ago: I was assessing the houses on my way back home, and got to a thought that it can be a fun to live here in Nairobi for a longer time. And then I just realized that I'm actually doing that...
Kristian arrived back from Rwanda on Friday morning. Till that time I had more than one week to take care about myself. The way to becoming independent. Somehow I'm happy that he was away for a while: I could test myself, how can I do it alone. And the fact is that I can do it. I've got my new routines, and I can say I'm getting more and more effective. After a month's time here, things doesn't seem to be so new, I feel like I'm here for ages. The only big change will be when I will get a job as well, but that's another point, will talk about it later.
Tomorrow afternoon my transition is over as well. I've got 2 LCs to coach, Moi, which is in Eldoret (about 6 hours travelling from Nairobi) and UoN, which is just 2 minutes, in the same building as the MC office - I've started working with both of them already. I've started to implement my plans, launch some campaigns, yesterday I had my first meeting with the NTT girls (so sweat all of them). Now I don't have the feeling any more that I don't know what's happenning here.
My last weekend was awesome. On Saturday, Kristian and I found out that we'd go to the cinema. Instead, we've bought some dvds somewhere (it's interesting to know, that these dvds are not original ones, though, you've got guarantee on the quality :-P I've never seen such a system before...). So we bought the dvds, then got some coffee, chocolate cookies and a coconut, and organized a home movie relaxation evening.
Hehe, but that wasn't the end of the day. Finally, at around 10.30 pm we've found ourselves at a party, with lots of people, known and unknown for me. For a while I was just wondering around what was happenning, but finally Goodwills, LCP of LC USIU, got my hands and took me to learn how to dance in the kenyan way. And from this point, there was no stop: I was dancing till 4 am... All the guys wanted to show me something new, something unique (general kenyan way of dancing, also the kikuyu way, the luo way, etc.), so finally I ended up dancing with almost everyone around me. It was crazy :-)
Then next day we woke up at around noon - the plan for Sunday was to buy some "African touch" for the Annual Stakeholders Dinner (happening this Friday). So went to the masai market at Yaya, and started to look around and bargain. You cannot imagine - because we're muzungus (white), the introductory prices were ridiculously high. But if you have the right technique, you can take the prices down to so cheap that you could never imagine before. I bought for example 2 nice pictures for the wall - the original price was 800 bobs for each (around 2400 HUF per piece). The price I've payed finally: 400 bobs for both (1200 HUF per 2 pieces)...
The same with the earrings and so... I so much enjoyed the whole afternoon! It's the matter of diplomacy, the matter of technique, the matter of patience (but showing inpatience). You always have to go as down as possible, but of course offer a rational price, otherwise you heart the "mamas" (the ladies who sell) feelings.
Oh, by the way, Dinner. Yeah, that's the biggest issue now for AIESEC in Kenya. It's like an Oscar Gala: the biggest matter for all participants (and of course everyone will be there), is what to wear. It's so lovely! This is the ultimate topic. Yesterday I had a deal with Martin, that if I take pictures of my options, he checks it and helps chosing for me. It worked out today :-)
And to be honest, am getting excited about this event now. 500 people having dinner, coctail and afterparty. And of course, the MC take-over. With alumni, company representatives, trainees, parents, and all members of AIESEC Kenya.
The more I'm integrated here, the more am confused about everything else. I already know it will be so hard to leave. These people are getting to be my friends, my family. Nairobi is already my home. Fortunately I have one more year here, so I don't have to think about this now.
Though, I've really started to think over my life, my goals, and everything around me. So much impressions, so many people, stories, so many new thoughts and opportunities. I've realized: I don't like planning on a certain level. I have to see my end goals in order to keep in track, and also this helps me in finding the best options when it's coming to chosing between paths to take - but somehow I want to live my life in a more spontaineous way.
People used to tell me that I am brave to coming to Kenya. I don't think it's about being brave. It's about something different. The willingness to be free, I think. But anyways, I don't think I'm brave - if something, then I'm dare. The difference between the two is that brave thinks before acts, the dare acts, and thinks after.
I think that is one reason why I'm feeling confused - I don't know what will happen, and to be honest, am not planning things to happen, they just do. And when they do, I start thinking: how to get the most out of the given situations? It's a kindda fun like this. Always keeps me awake, excited. Gives me a reason to wake up every morning.
Kristian arrived back from Rwanda on Friday morning. Till that time I had more than one week to take care about myself. The way to becoming independent. Somehow I'm happy that he was away for a while: I could test myself, how can I do it alone. And the fact is that I can do it. I've got my new routines, and I can say I'm getting more and more effective. After a month's time here, things doesn't seem to be so new, I feel like I'm here for ages. The only big change will be when I will get a job as well, but that's another point, will talk about it later.
Tomorrow afternoon my transition is over as well. I've got 2 LCs to coach, Moi, which is in Eldoret (about 6 hours travelling from Nairobi) and UoN, which is just 2 minutes, in the same building as the MC office - I've started working with both of them already. I've started to implement my plans, launch some campaigns, yesterday I had my first meeting with the NTT girls (so sweat all of them). Now I don't have the feeling any more that I don't know what's happenning here.
My last weekend was awesome. On Saturday, Kristian and I found out that we'd go to the cinema. Instead, we've bought some dvds somewhere (it's interesting to know, that these dvds are not original ones, though, you've got guarantee on the quality :-P I've never seen such a system before...). So we bought the dvds, then got some coffee, chocolate cookies and a coconut, and organized a home movie relaxation evening.
Hehe, but that wasn't the end of the day. Finally, at around 10.30 pm we've found ourselves at a party, with lots of people, known and unknown for me. For a while I was just wondering around what was happenning, but finally Goodwills, LCP of LC USIU, got my hands and took me to learn how to dance in the kenyan way. And from this point, there was no stop: I was dancing till 4 am... All the guys wanted to show me something new, something unique (general kenyan way of dancing, also the kikuyu way, the luo way, etc.), so finally I ended up dancing with almost everyone around me. It was crazy :-)
Then next day we woke up at around noon - the plan for Sunday was to buy some "African touch" for the Annual Stakeholders Dinner (happening this Friday). So went to the masai market at Yaya, and started to look around and bargain. You cannot imagine - because we're muzungus (white), the introductory prices were ridiculously high. But if you have the right technique, you can take the prices down to so cheap that you could never imagine before. I bought for example 2 nice pictures for the wall - the original price was 800 bobs for each (around 2400 HUF per piece). The price I've payed finally: 400 bobs for both (1200 HUF per 2 pieces)...
The same with the earrings and so... I so much enjoyed the whole afternoon! It's the matter of diplomacy, the matter of technique, the matter of patience (but showing inpatience). You always have to go as down as possible, but of course offer a rational price, otherwise you heart the "mamas" (the ladies who sell) feelings.
Oh, by the way, Dinner. Yeah, that's the biggest issue now for AIESEC in Kenya. It's like an Oscar Gala: the biggest matter for all participants (and of course everyone will be there), is what to wear. It's so lovely! This is the ultimate topic. Yesterday I had a deal with Martin, that if I take pictures of my options, he checks it and helps chosing for me. It worked out today :-)
And to be honest, am getting excited about this event now. 500 people having dinner, coctail and afterparty. And of course, the MC take-over. With alumni, company representatives, trainees, parents, and all members of AIESEC Kenya.
The more I'm integrated here, the more am confused about everything else. I already know it will be so hard to leave. These people are getting to be my friends, my family. Nairobi is already my home. Fortunately I have one more year here, so I don't have to think about this now.
Though, I've really started to think over my life, my goals, and everything around me. So much impressions, so many people, stories, so many new thoughts and opportunities. I've realized: I don't like planning on a certain level. I have to see my end goals in order to keep in track, and also this helps me in finding the best options when it's coming to chosing between paths to take - but somehow I want to live my life in a more spontaineous way.
People used to tell me that I am brave to coming to Kenya. I don't think it's about being brave. It's about something different. The willingness to be free, I think. But anyways, I don't think I'm brave - if something, then I'm dare. The difference between the two is that brave thinks before acts, the dare acts, and thinks after.
I think that is one reason why I'm feeling confused - I don't know what will happen, and to be honest, am not planning things to happen, they just do. And when they do, I start thinking: how to get the most out of the given situations? It's a kindda fun like this. Always keeps me awake, excited. Gives me a reason to wake up every morning.

2 comments:
Hey Viki
It is awesome to see you in your new home, and seeing you already reaching slowly the next stage of being there... The first 2-3 months are still like a honeymoon, you wake up with a new recognition every day and then you really start living there, you remember?
Nairobi, based on the pictures, seem very unique and I like it! I can imagine you walking down those streets and wondering about those houses ;-)!!!!
Wishing you all the best! Keep enjoying!
Hugs
Gitti
nem is barnultál! vagy csak a srác mellett nem látszik? :D
Post a Comment