Sunday, August 5, 2007

Mzuri sana

I feel good. This is how I could summarize my last week. I'm relaxed and happy, got a small suntone even, what else could I ask for...??? :-)

As for work, I could finish almost everything I was planning to do. And I'm very happy cos what I've created will hopefully have a big effect, just let it be realized, haha. Though actually now everything is around IC preparation - I'm also working hard so that I can leave my VPs here in the way that they can do their work smoothly while we're in Turkey. I don't want thing to collapse without me - that's not why I'm here in Kenya.
We also had our first IC preparation meeting - it was a big fun. We created new leadership positions such as Global Village coordinator, Rollcall coordinator, Official Dinner coordinator and so on... :-D Laughing so much again, I think Kenyans are among the most creative people in the whole world.
(oh, for those who don't know what IC is - it's the biggest and most important annual international conference of AIESEC, with around 600-800 delegates from more than 100 countries lasting for 2 weeks in the second half of August)
Yeah. I can't believe we're leaving within 2 weeks time! And the best is that we've just realized, MC Kenya and MC Tanzania are travelling with the same flight - oh, poor people around us, it will be so much noise, hehe!

Yesterday Silvi, Sharon and me we went to Naivasha, to Crescent Island. Naivasha is a town placed around 2 hours from Nairobi on the way to Nakuru. It's right near to the Lake Naivasha, not far from Mountain Longonot, which was an active crater in the past. We first took a bus from Nairobi town, then in Naivasha we had to find a matatu, which took us to the entrance of the Island. Actually, at the entrance I felt for the first time since I've been in Kenya: yeah, this is really Kenya. In the middle of nowhere, it seemed, surrounded by cactuses and the savannah. As we were walking on only road existing there, a watch-man could help us with the way to the Island: go straight, then at the first junction turn right, at the next one go straight again, then turn left - it should have been like 15-20 minutes walk all in all.
Well, it seemed to be quite easy, and actually it was beautiful. As we got further and further from the road (which wasn't even too busy), we realized that we're all alone, and the peace around us was just amazing. You couldn't hear anything else but the birds and something some other animals like the impalas, cows, horses or gnus around. I felt like I was entering a new word - I don't know when was the last time I had been in such a tranquille and calm environment, so close to the nature. It was only us to make some noise, we had some fun with the cows...
After a while we thought we lost the track, and got lost... we saw some kikuyu houses finally, and there were some watoto (children) as well, so Silvi, using all her swahili knowledge could find out somehow, that we were still on the right way, no needed to worry.

Then we got to the entrance of the Island (which is practically a peninsula now, but was an island years before), a guardian welcomed us, and led us to the landlady - an old, white woman. It was very interesting. After we could convince her that we are residents (I will only get my work permit next week so I don't have a proof for being a residence yet), she started to talk about her thoughts regarding the Island, the past, and how things basically work in Kenya... I was a bit shocked. She is a Kenyan too (born in Kenya) but as she's white, she had very hard times in the past, and even now, as in Kenya, politically, it counts a lot that which tribe you belong to. In AIESEC you don't feel it that much, but yeah I see it regarding the political situation.
Then the guardian, who became our guide at the same time, he started to take us around the Island. Though our first tour took us to the loo (toilet), which was very funny. He started to go towards the bushes, and Sharon asked: "Ok, but where's the loo here?" answer: "It's in the bushes!" We thought, ok, it can happen, whatever. Then he said: "Come, we go!" Sharon asked then: "We are all going there??" The answer was... "Yes! The loo is hidden in the bushes" :-))) Finally we realized that yes, it was really HIDDEN in the bushes, but it wasn't the bushes actually, haha... Then the next big question was: what are we going to see here?? Cos we paid 500 bobs but we saw no animals till that point (on the Island itself, only before, on the way). Fortunately we got a nice answer: we have to get up on the top of the hill (which is the centre of the Island) and then we see everything...

And it was true! The view was beautiful, and the peace was still there... the only people around were the 3 of us and the guide, though later we met a few tourists, only for like 2 minutes. The Island is called Crescent Island because of its shape - it is in the Lake Naivasha, but at the same time, surrounds a smaller part of the lake, which is the deepest part (18-20 meters), made by the mountain Longonot. It's beautiful.
As we got down to the other part of the hill, animals started to appear: groups of impalas, gnus, giraffes, zebras, buffalos, different kinds of birds, Thompson and grand gazels and other animals which names I don't remember. We were walking around the whole Island, and our guide explained everything - all about the plants, trees, animals, the history of the Island... I learnt so much. We arrived there around 2 pm and finished the Island cycle at 4.30 - I was terribly tired by the end, but it was a lovely tiredness. It's hard to explain, but I felt relaxed and happy, and I was even glad to be tired.

Then when we got to home, all 3 of us just wanted to sleep, I think I slept for like 13 hours. Then today we went to the masai market again - as Sharon is leaving, she needed to buy some presents to family and friends at home, and also I wanted to check prices, cos we are going to the market again on Tuesday with Leah and Juliet and I wanted to know what best price can I offer... Though I ended up buying 2 scarves, what I wanted to do even weeks ago, so that basically was planned and I'm satisfied with even the prices.
After masai market Silvi and me went for shopping and cooked lunch together (at 4 pm, hehe), and we finally decided to have all Sunday lunches together whenever its possible, cos that's a fun. And since then till now I've been chilling... it's good. Some time for my swahili courses, and reading some books. Some time to chat with a few friends. I'm happy, and ready to start a new week.

1 comment:

Pitypang said...

I'm happy to see that you're doing well. :) What's this Mzuri sana?